Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar

Renovation of the Bahnson House for the Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
 

Winner of 2014 Gertrude S. Carraway Award of Merit from Preservation North Carolina for “Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Historic Preservation.”

 

Winner of a 2014 Community Appearance Award for the Restoration and Adaptive Reuse of a Historic Building that enhances the attractiveness and enjoyment of the Downtown Winston-Salem area.

 

Winner of the ‘2013 Adaptive Reuse Award’ from Preserve Historic Forsyth

 

One of two surviving examples of a “Millionaire’s Row” residence, a portion of large homes along West Fifth Street occupied by wealthy industrialists including the original R.J. Reynolds residence, the Agnew Hunter Bahnson House is a large, two-story, stucco house in the English Country House style, reminiscent of C.F.A. Voysey and the late 19th and early 20th centuries the English Arts and Crafts movement.  The historic renovation coupled with its adaptive re-use as the Springhouse Restaurant, Kitchen and Bar, re-contextualizes Willard C. Northup’s 1919 design; fusing the functional and experiential integrity of the historic property within reclaimed pedestrian business district.

Kevin Owen, our architect for the adaptive re-use of the historic Bahnson House, was steadfast in his commitment to preserve, restore and enhance the integrity of the 1920’s structure. His collaborative style allows and encourages owner input and creativity, while his professional guidance was critical in all aspects of design and construction, including our success in being awarded 100% of the Historic Tax Credits for the project.” Lynette Matthews-Murphy – Founder/Partner

Listed individually in the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance and association with one of Winston-Salem’s original industrialists, the design of the A.H. Bahnson home was heavily influenced by the nearby R.J. Reynolds residence designed by Charles Barton Keen.  This is evidence by the Ludowici-Celadon green tiled roof, austere white stucco façade, asymmetrical form and unusual fenestration.

The historic renovation preserves the original fabric of the home, retaining details originally articulated on both the exterior and interior of the structure, including repairing and painting exterior stucco, repairing and recycling all original windows, wooden shutters, French doors and moldings, replacing broken or missing brass hardware, fireplace mantles and bathroom tile with replacements consistent with the style and finish of the house, and refinishing furniture-quality white oak floors.

Approaching from North Spring Street, the foyer opens into the Library Bar, formerly the living room, with doors flanking the fireplace leading to a tiled sun porch on the north side of the building.  Across the foyer, opposite the Library Bar, the main dining area reinterprets the original dining room, extending onto the terrace through French doors.  The adjacent parlor offers additional dining space.  The existing kitchen and butler’s pantry have been reconfigured to accommodate a commercial grade kitchen, with the basement serving as a preparation kitchen and storage area.

Ascending the grand staircase to the second floor, two private dining rooms, a Boardroom and additional restrooms occupy the space formerly designated for bedrooms and baths, respectively.  Offices now occupy the twin sleeping porches on the south end.

Our architect, our therapist, our friend … some days it was tough to know which role was more needed, but you always seemed to know.” Lynette Matthews-Murphy – Founder/Partner

 

Design & Construction Team

Architect: Owen Architecture,pllc 939 Burke Street, Suite D, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Structural Engineering: Moorefield Engineering, PC, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Interior Decorator: Lucie Matthews Patton, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Food Service Equipment Supplier/Consultant: Eastern Food Equipment, Russ Patterson, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Construction: Davie Construction, Inc, Advance, North Carolina